Additional Supplements

Is it a useful nutrient.
Mick

Overview
I use Vita-Link Cal-Mag which provides my plants with precise levels of calcium and magnesium to stimulate healthy growth by increasing the photosynthetic rate of the leaves, most growers use calcium and magnesium in some form.
General Information
I consider it as an essential macronutrient, calcium aids the strengthening of cell walls as well as enhanced root development, nitrogen assimilation, cell division and photosynthesis. Magnesium is another essential macronutrient which acts as a building block for chlorophyll which is a key part of photosynthesis.
Benefits
• Contains added iron
• Highly available form of calcium and magnesium
• Essential for correcting and preventing common deficiencies
How to Use
I use every third week on my watering cycle I apply at a rate of 1ml/L alongside my main fertilizer. If using coco husk, I have been advised to add Cal-Mag to every feed.Image
Attachments
cal-mag.jpeg
cal-mag.jpeg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Matt

Good to see this post Mick! I came to using CalMag on my orchids from my own research, but its seems to have made a difference and isnt mentioned much. I use less than the amount recommended on the bottle (usually thats dosed for ....erm bigger leafier flowering plants) - as its often calcium nitrate you also get a small nitrogen boost in the feed as well - so worth factoring that in.
Mick

Matt wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:41 am Good to see this post Mick! I came to using CalMag on my orchids from my own research, but its seems to have made a difference and isnt mentioned much. I use less than the amount recommended on the bottle (usually thats dosed for ....erm bigger leafier flowering plants) - as its often calcium nitrate you also get a small nitrogen boost in the feed as well - so worth factoring that in.
[Thanks for that Matt, I'd forgotten about that.]

Return to “Should I use Cal-Mag on my Masdevallias”